Application Closing Date: 4pm on 1 February 2021
I (James Bell) am looking for a paralegal to assist me in my practice.
I am a busy practitioner (34 years Call) at Temple Garden Chambers, London. My practice is a mixture of personal injury and clinical negligence, for mainly Claimant clients.
This would be a full time role but with flexible hours. I would prefer someone who has graduated from the BPTC. This role will suit someone with an aspiration for a career at the Bar who wishes to gain insight into life as a busy working civil practitioner.
Responsibilities will include the following:
• Drafting advices, statements of case and schedules of loss;
• Preparing pre-conference agendas, outlines and post-conference attendance notes;
• Attending conferences with clients and experts, settlement meetings, procedural hearings and trials nationwide (travel at my expense);
• Preparing chronologies and case summaries;
• Researching legal points;
• Administrative tasks.
The successful candidate should have the following skills/ attributes:
• Ability to understand and analyse documentary materials;
• Good research skills and attention to detail;
• Ability to write concisely and accurately;
• Good numeracy skills;
• Self-motivation and initiative, with the ability to work quickly and effectively for long hours and (sometimes) under time pressure;
• Professional demeanour;
• Desire to practice at the Bar;
• Good IT skills.
Terms of Engagement
The position is offered on a self-employed basis working (in accordance with the current Chambers’ Policy) in my room in Temple, London. You must supply your own laptop with Word and Excel software installed. Competitive hourly rate to be agreed. Candidates must be available to start in Spring 2021.
Please send a curriculum vitae with a short covering letter explaining why you wish to take on this role and why you would be suitable for it to my current paralegal Rebekah Batt at firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm on 1 February 2021.