One of The Inner Temple’s core values is to be progressive. We aim to develop a vibrant legal community whose members reflect the wider population. And we want to recognise and support those members of our community who have been oppressed and marginalised as a result of their identity. LGBT+ History Month is an opportunity for us to reflect on the work we have done so far, and the plans we have for the future such as:
- Running Qualifying Sessions for students with a specific focus on Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Running LGBT+ themed Qualifying Sessions, for example our residential weekend on trans rights and the law
- Offering Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity Training to all volunteers
- Creating specific events for LGBT+ members and students to share their experiences, for example our In Focus event last year
- Undertaking a comprehensive Equality, Diversity and Inclusion consultation, allowing members to share their experiences and informing our future activities
For LGBT+ History Month this year, we will be running a social media campaign, to chart the legal history of LGBT+ rights and the progress still to be made.
The Inn is enormously proud of our diverse membership, and works hard to foster a culture of inclusion and equity. LGBT+ History Month is a time for us to unite, across the entirety of our community, to treat the eradication of prejudice and discrimination as a shared responsibility, and to promote the role of the law in upholding the rights of marginalised groups.