Coronavirus (COVID-19) update (02/07/20): In light of the Bar Standards Board’s decision to postpone the sitting of centralised BPTC and BTT examinations to August, we have had to adjust the dates of Call ceremonies accordingly. The Trinity (23 July) and Deferred Trinity (26 October) ceremonies will not take place as planned, leaving Michaelmas (30 November) as the earliest opportunity be Called to the Bar in 2020. We have confirmed dates of two further ceremonies in 2021; Hilary (29 March) and Easter (27 May). We are now accepting submission of applications for the aforementioned Call dates. For further information on how to apply for the revised Call dates, please scroll down to the relevant section of this webpage.
- Our vision for the future
- Call to the Bar
- Temple Women's Forum: Planned Breaks and Return to the Bar
- The Bar of Ireland, Brexit and the Common Law
- The History of the Law Officers
- Memory as Evidence
- Brain Imaging as Evidence
- Previous Lecture Series and Speakers
- Proof in International Criminal Trials
- 'Sales' on Retention of Title Terms
- Forensic Identification from the Hand
- The Predicament and Agency of Refugees
- The Limits of Fiduciary Rules
- Show me the money!
- Special Gandhi Lecture
- Frequently asked questions
Call to the Bar
There are four Call nights each year; Hilary (March), Trinity (July), Deferred Trinity (October) and Michaelmas (November).
To be considered eligible to be Called to the Bar, an individual must have successfully completed the following:
- academic legal training
- vocational training
- obtained the requisite number of Qualifying Sessions (12); Call night will count as one Qualifying Session (i.e. your twelfth) until the 30 June 2021
All requirements must have been met, and the application received by the Education & Training Department of the Inn, by the specified closing date.
Applying for Call
Coronavirus (COVID-19) update (02/07/20):
The Inn is now accepting submission of applications from those who wish to be Called to the Bar at any of the following ceremonies:
- Michaelmas Call - Monday 30 November 2020
- Hilary Call - Monday 29 March 2021
- Easter Call - Thursday 27 May 2021
If you believe you are in a position where being Called to the Bar on the 30 November or later, instead of in July or October, would have a detrimental impact on your future career at the Bar, please contact Richard Loveridge.
If you are a BPTC student and want to apply to be Called to the Bar in 2020/21, please download the below guidelines for further information on how to do so.
The 2020/21 Call ceremonies are:
Trinity Term Call Night
Thursday 23 July 2020 (Cancelled)
Deferred Trinity Term Call Night
Monday 26 October 2020 (Cancelled)
Michaelmas Term Call Night
Monday 30 November 2020
|Hilary Term Call Night||Monday 29 March 2021|
|Easter Term Call Night||Thursday 27 May 2021|
Structure of Call Night
On the day of the Call ceremony, those being Called to the Bar must arrive at Inner Temple Hall at 5pm to register, whilst their guests should head directly to the Temple Church to take their seats. The ceremony begins promptly at 6pm, when the Masters of the Bench process into the Church.
The ceremony is followed by a Champagne reception in the Hall for those who have been Called, their guests and the Masters of the Bench. The evening usually ends at 8.30pm.
Dress for Call
Students being called:
You do not need a wig or gown.
Gowns will be provided at registration by the Inn on the day of call. Wigs are provided by the photographers for the photos only. Wigs are not allowed to be worn during the ceremony.
Dark suit for men and women
- Women: White wing-collared shirt or a Mandarin Collar Shirt or a Ladies Tunic. You will need to purchase bands separately - all require bands. Alternatively, a Collarette with a top underneath - you do not need to buy bands for this as they are already attached. You can wear any colour top underneath as long as it does not show through the Collarette.
- Men: White wing-collared shirt or a Tunic Shirt - both require bands
The bands and shirts may be bought from a number of tailors including:
|Ede & Ravenscroft||Stanley Ley|
|93-94 Chancery Lane||23 Fleet Street|
|London WC2A 1DU||London EC4Y 1AA|
|Tel. 020 7405 3906||Tel. 020 7353 3533|
Please contact the tailors directly for any questions on dress.