The traineeship at The Inner Temple I believe is second to none. It is a chance to work and study as part of a first-class team in a historic garden that has roots throughout the history of ornamental gardening in Britain, and a unique plant collection that is hard to find anywhere else.Sam Fry, Inner Temple Garden Trainee 2020-2022 & RHS/GCA Fellow 2022-2023
The Garden Traineeship (Level 3)
The Inner Temple Garden Traineeship:
- is a hands-on practical traineeship, aimed at those who have already embarked on a career in horticulture
- is a unique opportunity to work in small team of highly skilled gardeners in a historic garden which focuses on biodiversity, experimental borders and meadows, whilst being paid London Living Wage
- runs for two years. The first year the trainee learns skills and how the Garden operates. The second year, the trainee applies what they learnt in the first year and builds strong observation and problem solving skills.
- entails studying off site for the RHS Level 3 Horticulture qualification, with course fees covered.
- covers training for certificates where required such the Tractor with implement qualification and PA1 & PA6.
- entails plant identification tests and completing an electronic garden diary outside of working hours.
- gives opportunity to lead volunteers and contribute to planning meetings.
- develops social media and garden administration skills.
- teaches observation, applying knowledge and training to become a well-respected and competent gardener.
- provides opportunity for networking within the industry.
A requirement for those applying is a Level 2 qualification; the ability and dedication to study to RHS Level 3; and a minimum of 6 to 12 months experience gardening, which could be volunteering or on another traineeship.
The next Traineeship will commence in September 2024.
The deadline for applications will be 31 January 2024 with interviews taking place in February.
Please see job page of website for application details which will be launched by end of 2023.